Sunday, July 5, 2009

California Update

Me and a seal in Seal Beach.

Workout: 7/4

30 min "test" run

So I'm now in Long Beach, California for the week and am enjoying some down time with my mom. Arrived just in time for the 4th of July festivities, good food, good company and a decent display of fireworks from the Queen Mary on the beach. Made time for a 3o min run before the evening festivities. This was my first run after my cortisone shot administered 48 hours prior. Things were feeling better...until I ran. At this point, I have been told that the only option after the cortisone is to go in and scope. Whatever. If the MRI shows nothing, then there is nothing and I need to just suck it up and run. So that's what I did. After about 10 minutes or so, I have a couple steps in a row where the area under my ankle will send a sharp pang that resonates through my ankle. If I adjust my foot enough to the point where I am almost supnating then I am good. At least I still remember how to run? Oh and I am ridiculously sore from running; impact on my quads is much more significant than pool running...obviously.

Workout: 7/5
20 min SLOW morning jog
2,000yd swim @ JCC-Long Beach

Run was near painless, but last 5-7 minutes I had a couple jolts or so around my ankle. Immediately iced. Swim was blah. Shared a lane with a slightly older goober who splashed a lot but was a fairly strong swimmer. Finally had to swap out when another lane opened, I blame him for all the water I swallowed.

During my stay in LBC, I have the privilege of using the JCC as my training hub :) My mom works there so its super convenient and relatively free! There are group classes throughout the week that I plan on taking (spinning/yoga), not to mention a 25yd outdoor pool. Rumor has it, there is also a yoga facility in the immediate area that holds free classes throughout the week. I will be doing some investigating and hope to attend a class or two.

Projected athletically-inclined activities...

I plan on making an overnight trip to Santa Barbara tomorrow afternoon and may be so inclined to take a surfing lesson? We will see, I might just prefer a couple sun bathing intervals and body surfing.

On Wednesday, according to the LA Tri Club website, there is an Ocean speed circuit in the AM in Santa Monica. Supposedly there is usually a substantial turn out(over 100 participants) for these workouts which means I can blend in easily, that way no one can critique my inferior swimming skills. They set up a 500m out and back swim and a running portion so athletes can do swim/run intervals of sorts...we'll see if I can make it through more than one set. ha. Here's a gmap of the loop. Afterwards, we plan on making a stop at the new Triathlon Lab- Santa Monica location that opened this past Saturday.

That's all that's on the agenda thus far. If anyone can think of anything else I should do while I'm out here, sport related or not, lemme know! For now, just more pinkberry and lots of naps.


No comments:

Post a Comment